Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Pursued by a Bear/Perusing the Bear

The bear is my upcoming MA exam in English literature, but also refers to academics in general. It threatens to overwhelm, but we tame the bear.

The purpose of this blog is two fold:
  • to provide a space to comment on the books I'm reading (or not reading) for the MA exam 7 August 2007
  • to comment in general on books I read and enjoy or read and despise.
And with that in mind, I'll go write my last paper of the semester so I can actually continue this august project.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angels' hierarchies?

and even if one of them pressed me suddenly against his heart:
I would be consumed in that overwhelming existence.
For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we are still just able to endure,
and we are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
Every angel is terrifying.
And so I hold myself back and swallow the call-note of my dark sobbing.
Ah, whom can we ever turn to in our need?
Not angels, not humans, and already the knowing animals are aware
that we are not really at home in our interpreted world."
-Rilke